A bit about us
Ok, so you’ve had a good rummage through our portfolio here, maybe even checked our Facebook page and now you are wondering to yourself WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE, I need to know more about them before I make them an important part of my wedding day!
First, a few random facts
- Met: at a photo festival in Bratislava
- Married: to one another
- Guilty indulgence: aside from cake (obvs) - sailing boats
- Name: we sometimes like to abbreviate "Crofts & Kowalczyk" to "Cro + Kow"
We find it awkward writing about ourselves. So Sylwia is going to write a few things about Simon, and Simon a few things about Sylwia, while the other one blushes.
- Sylwia is the creative brain behind Cro + Kow. She is also the visually educated one: studied graphic design, and has an MFA in photography from Edinburgh College of Art, and an MA in graphic design and photography from Krakow Academy of Fine Art.
- She is a sponge for all sorts of documentaries and podcasts.
- Sylwia is also the kindest person I know - you will see that at weddings she is a kind of Jeeves shimmering away in the background, and has a magic rucksack that always seems to contain just whatever it is you happen to need at any particular moment. (So if any of you need blotting papers or a plaster you now know who to ask! - Sylwia)
- Sylwia has developed a technique of serial sneezing guaranteed to stop conversation in any restaurant. The current record is eleven sneezes.(Actually I think it is thirteen but I'm not sure because I almost fainted - Sylwia).
- I feel incredibly lucky to work with her, and this is what I love above all - this cooperation and excitement of doing something creative with the person you care about most.
- Simon plays clarinet (but I'm veeeery rusty - Simon). Yes, the chap not only wields his numerous cameras like a pro but if your wedding band unexpectedly needs a clarinet soloist for your first dance song performance, now you know where to find one (absolutely no way - Simon). And I want to take pictures of it!
- He once cycled 2500 miles across Europe to Moscow.
- Simon genuinely thought that Led Zeppelin was a man called Led. I forgave him.
- Simon moved in with me two months after we first met. It was not a mean feat – more than 20 boxes arrived from Scotland and I’m pretty sure that at least 18 of them consisted of darkroom and photo equipment. That is how I knew I had to marry this guy!
- Simon builds wonderful bonds with people who he photographs. He also talks to the back of his camera all the time. I think he is a camera-whisperer.